Over Land and Sea
In 1998, inspired by the arrival of several international superstars, I wrote to the Arsenal magazine to list my details in their Pen Pal section.
Over the next two years, as the magazine made its way around the world, I received twenty-two replies, from Germany to Ghana, Antwerp to Zimbabwe.
Clearly WKD Blue became more interesting than writing, as shamefully, I didn’t reply to any of them.
Two years ago, my Mum passed away, and I found all twenty-two letters in her loft. The guilt took hold, and I thought, what if I tried to track them all down?
So that’s what I’m doing. Armed with only their names and addresses from 25 years ago, I’m trying to find these shamefully spurned supporters.
Listed below are the names and where they were when they wrote the original letter. If you know them – or are them – or think you might be able to help please get in touch below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Burns – Dagenham
- Jenna Robertson – Norwich
- Paul Murphy – Enfield
- Natalie Lord – Hackney
- Karen Seaney – South Benfleet
- Nicola Brooks – Bristol
- Ruth Pogonowski – Waltham Abbey
- Liz ? – Bristol (Admittedly, this one is as likely as a John Jensen goal)
- Sarah McEnery – Limerick, Ireland
- Eline Muhking – Found!
- Mamie Yiadom – Leiden, The Netherlands
- David Monseurs – Breda, The Netherlands
- Jocelyne Samin – Paris, France
- Jens Köbernick – Duisburg, Germany
- Elizabeth Omamah – Saltpond, Ghana
- Albert Salifu – Anloga-Kurnasi, Ghana
- Owusu Nyantakyi Quayson – Kumasi, Ghana
- Addai Kwaku Frimpong – Amakom-Kumasi, Ghana
- Sadia Osmon – Berekum, Ghana
- Richful Opoku – Asawasi-Kumasi, Ghana
- Frank F. Deemi – Monrovia, Liberia
- Paul Markuvaza – Harare, Zimbabwe